School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, NUST, Islamabad, in collaboration withthe Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro Presents International Symposium on Emerging Technologies in Optical Communications and Semiconductor Devices -- 25-26 August 2014
Venue of the Event:
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (SEECS), National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), H-12, Islamabad, Pakistan
Higher Education Commission of Pakistan, and the Erasmus Mundus - INTACT (It's Time for CollaboratioN TowArds Close CooperaTion)
Pakistan has become an international market for the next generation communication networks. The initiatives of the Govt. of Pakistan have also enabled the boom in its growth in the forms of offering 3G and 4G licensing. This means that the backbone optical networks of all these access and wide area networking technologies should be discussed and the latest developments in these optical communication networks should be shared with a maximum audience.
Optical communications is not just limited to optical fiber technologies and free space optics (FSO), rather it includes the enabling technologies, such as, transmitters, phase shifters, modulators, receivers, polarization controllers, and many more integrated optical elements. Therefore, it is imperative to include the latest development in all these active and passive semiconductor devices in the scope of this international event.
Finally, the developments in bio-photonics, organic LEDs and photovoltaics have been trending in the latest international forums. Our own developments in the field of bio-photonics in Pakistan have been exemplary and they require an international forum for maximum projection.
Therefore, we have planned this two day international symposium to invite leading national and international researchers to present state-of-the-art technologies and developments in the fields of optical communications and optical devices. Additionally, their life long experience will forecast the future trends and developments in these fields upon which the young researchers and postgraduate students can build their theses and research.
Scope of the Symposium:
The scope of this symposium includes:
- Development of numerical methods
- High speed modulators
- Optical MEMS and sensors
- Semiconductor lasers
- Nonlinear optics
- Active and passive optical device design
- Passive optical networks
- Optical communications
- Organic LEDs and photovoltaics
Who should attend?
This two day international symposium is aimed for Research students, academics, and professionals to acquaint themselves with the world class research in the fields of optical communications and semiconductor devices.
- Prof. Andy Augousti – Kingston University, U.K.
- Prof. Marios Lesta – Frederick University, Cyprus.
- Prof. Elfed Lewis – University of Limerick, Ireland.
- Prof. B. M. A. Rahman – City University, London.
- Prof. Kenneth Grattan – City University, London.
- Prof. Dr. B. S. Chowdhry – MUET, Jamshoro.
- Dr. Faheem Aziz Umrani – MUET, Jamshoro.
- Dr. Arshad Mahmood – NILOP, Islamabad.
- Dr. Rana Iqtidar – NILOP, Islamabad.
- Dr. Faisal Amir – PNEC, Karachi.
- Dr. Bilal Khawaja – PNEC, Karachi.
- Dr. Sajid Saleem – PNEC, Karachi.
- Dr. Hamood Ur Rehman – C-EME, Rawalpindi.
- Dr. Azhar Naeem – PU, Lahore.
- Dr. Tauseef Tauqeer – SEECS, Islamabad.
- Dr. Usman Younis – SEECS, Islamabad.
- Prof. Dr. Arshad Ali, NUST-SEECS, (Chief Organizer)
- Prof. Dr. S. M. H. Zaidi, NUST-SEECS, (General Chair)
- Prof. Dr. B. S. Chowdhry, MUET, FEECE, (Technical Program Chair)
- Dr. Tauseef Tauqeer, NUST-SEECS, (Events Chair)
- Dr. Usman Younis, NUST-SEECS, (Publications and Media Chair)
Professionals: Rs. 3000/-
Students: Rs. 800/-
All participants are required to submit their Registration Fee through Pay Order, Bank Draft or Cash, in favor of “SEECS Consultancy Fund”, Account # 22927000074501, Habib Bank Limited, NUST, H-12, Islamabad. The Bank Draft or Pay Order must reach SEECS Information Office (by hand or through courier) by 22 August, 2014.
Students, Researchers, and Professionals are encouraged to participate in six poster sessions planned in the symposium program. This will give them the opportunity to present their work and get the expert opinion of national and international audience.
*including Tea and Lunch